Tuesday 25 October 2011

They Built a Little Bird House for My soul

The begginings....its going to be a long job!
A few years ago I was really quite ill with ME/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.  I just happened to go to a local gaqrden centre to have a coffee and a rest after a visit to the Dr before I drove home again.  While I was there I saw some lovely birds I'd never seen before and I couldnt stop thinking about them. They were lovely!  I went back several more times and did a lot of online reserch and eventually went back and bought them.  They were a pair of Kakariki. Unfortunatley I lost my first pair to different problems but I got some more much stronger birds and over the next few years my flock expanded and  and my house was getting rather over run.

A lot or gravel to move

Last summer my boyfriend, son and a friend  built me a Bird House in my back garden

Showing the youngster how its done
Slabs going down... being inspected by Chilli Dog
Looking good!

I ordered the summerhouse and everything we needed and the hard work then started for me keeping everyone supplied with drinks.  It started off with a lot of soil moving, leveling, coffee drinking and sand moving by my friend steve.  Followed by slab moving and laying which my son Dan helped with.... and Chilli Dog watched on and helped in an advisory manor.



Time for the wood bit


Steve, Rich and Dan then set about sorting out the masive pile of wood that some how was going to fit together like a giant 3D puzzle into a Summerhouse. The floor first, then the walls, the planks all slotted together log cabin style.  
 
Its getting there

WooHoo..... look what WE built!



Holes were left in the right places for the window and doors and the roof was fitted in place








Nice one Dan!!








Painting .....and Chester the dog has moved i
Rich put the window and doors on and got them working right while Steve pretended he was a monkey and sat on the roof... he was actually putting the felt on at the same time.



Steve and my friend Emily painted the whole place from top to bottom in colours I'd chosen.  I wanted it to look like a beach hut, and I think it worked really well.







I love my Bird House, it makes me smile, and is now the main home for my birds as well as Dans Rabbit and Gerbils.  I would like to say a huge thanks to the Steve Rich Dan and Emily for all their hard work.


.
My Bird House Today

No comments:

Post a Comment